Thursday, January 5, 2012

God's little surprise today

I have had Unconditional Love on my list of topics that I wanted to discuss on my blog for a long time.  Yesterday, God finally led me to discuss it and gave me what to say.  For those of you that don't know me, I'm not much for preparation.  So when I blog, I just sit down with the computer for 10-30 minutes and just type what is or has been on my mind.  Yesterday was no exception.  I knew at some point I wanted to share my thoughts about unconditional love and yesterday I finally had the opportunity.  As I sat down and began to type, God just began to show me things and speak through me.  As much as I have considered unconditional love I have never paired it with "for better or worse" until last night.

I've always said that God has a sense of humor, especially when it comes to me anyway.  After he showed me what to talk about regarding "for better or worse" last night, He decided to put Kim and me to the test so He compelled us to renew are vows today.  Yes, you read it right.  We renewed our vows today.

All of our marriage, we have both shared the view that renewing of vows was at best corny and more often than not, just stupid.  Even in the movie "Fire proof", as appropriate as it was, we both thought it was kind of dumb.  God showed us the error of our thinking today.

I took today off, Kassidi and Kalli had school, and Kelsi was with her Papaw (Chalk) all day.  Kim and I were talking about what we wanted to do and Kim said "I'd like to do something memorable today".   Kim and I did a turn-around in our marriage on January 4, 2011 by deciding to recommit our lives and our marriage to God.  This decision has led us through a process that has brought us closer to God than either of us has ever been either individually or together.  Although it went against what we would have ever done, we decided that today was the perfect day to recommit ourselves to each other and renew our vows.

Now, I know what you men are thinking because I thought the same thing.  You're thinking that I did this just because Kim wanted to.  You're thinking that I did it just to make her happy.  Well, this time, you're wrong.    Kim and I love each other with all of our hearts and we wanted the chance to kind of make it official with God.  The first time we got married, we were so excited (and dumb) that we just went along with the standard vows.  It really didn't matter to us what the vows said because all we cared about was getting married.  This time, the most important thing was to make up our own vows so we would know that we believed in what we were committing to.  I don't feel led to share our vows now because they are so personal to us but I will tell you that we both promised to love each other for ever, even during the times when we didn't want to.

If you are serious about committing your marriage to God and truly having a Godly marriage I think that renewing your vows is a good thing.  I don't know that I would start with it but you and your spouse can decide when the time is right.

If you have any questions about our experience, feel free to leave a comment on this blog or email me directly at johnkn.home@gmail.com.

God loves you and I do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment