Friday, November 25, 2011

Hell isn't the only thing paved with good intentions

Hell isn’t the only thing that is paved with good intentions.  Has anyone ever started the day, nice and early after a good night sleep, thinking “this is going to be an awesome day” and then the next thing you know, the day went just as planned except something wasn’t quite right.   

Yesterday started the time of year that I absolutely love.  If there are two people that love Thanksgiving and Christmas more than me and Kim then I haven’t met them.  It’s also the time of year that pulls our attentions in so many directions that we have to be careful not to leave our first love (if you are a Christian).  For instance, I had a great day today.  I started the morning off just me and Kelsi, and then I dropped her off at mom’s house and ate a quick breakfast.  I had to take some shirts by HHS so I caught a couple of basketball games and then back to mom’s to get Kalli and Kelsi.  I was pleasantly surprised when Kassi and Kim showed up there from a day of shopping that started quite early this morning.  We all came back home to finish the day.  I had a very good day.  The only problem was that I was so busy, I hadn’t spent enough time with God.  The only significant prayer I had prayed today was when #12 for MHS girls went down with a knee injury, my heart broke for that little girl when I heard her crying.

I realized all of this around 8:30 tonight when, for no good reason, I got a little testy with Kim.  She was right about something and I knew it but for some reason, it angered me.  I knew right then this behavior was directly because I hadn’t spent enough time with God today.  I got up and left the room and told God that I was sorry and it was amazing how easy it was to have a good attitude after that.

The point I’m trying to make is that we must always keep God first.  You don’t have to be “sinning” to put you in a place where you really don’t want to be.  We should always be praying (1 Thessalonians 5:17) and keeping God in the front of our mind.  I know the WWJD phrase is so overused but it really is the question that should always be on the top of our mind when any decision is made.  And by the way, any reaction you have is caused by a decision to have it.  There is a good topic of discussion on that point that I’d be happy to address in the future if any of you would like me to.

I hope your Thanksgiving has been as blessed as mine.

I love you and God does too.

No comments:

Post a Comment