Monday, November 21, 2011

Are you seeking God or merely looking for Him?

If you are looking for God I commend you.  If you have the desire to look for God because you need help, you certainly aren't alone.  That's where many christians are today, we need help from God because of a personal situation; our spouse is sick and needs help, our kids are having a hard time at school, my job is just getting on my nerves....  This is a good starting point for the relationship that God desires from us but once we "find" God and He ministers to our problem, we tend to put Him back where we found Him until we need Him again.

I want to encourage you today to seek God.  Once you have found Him or once you begin looking for Him, your search needs to change to one where you are seeking His face.  The best way I know to put this is to compare it to my marriage.  Before I married Kim, I was looking for her.  I found many unsuitable substitutes so I kept looking.  Once I found her, of course I stopped looking for her.  Was that the end of my attempts to get to know her or strengthen our relationship?  Of course not.  Once I found her I began seeking her.  I began trying to discover her likes and her dislikes.  I began learning what it was that made her happy and then I did those things.  I also learned what didn't make her happy and I stopped doing those things.  After all of these years I'm still learning my beautiful, awesome wife.  I am in awe of her.  Thoughts of Kim bring me to joyful tears because I love her so much.  We have an open line of communication such that we know the worst things about each other and its OK ("Meet Joe Black") we still love each other unconditionally.

THIS IS WHAT GOD WANTS FROM ME AND YOU!  Once we find God and begin building our relationship (when we get saved) He wants us to be in awe of Him.  If we love our spouses and our family the most, how much more should we love God and how much more does He want us to love Him.  God wants us to love Him and seek Him because of His love (1 John 4:19) not because of what He does for us.

Today, I encourage you to spend just 10 minutes seeking God's face.  Spend 10 minutes loving God the way that He desires.  God wants to take care of us and make sure our needs are met but He also wants to know that you love Him and will always love Him even if He doesn't meet our needs.

I love you and God does too.

1 comment: