Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Send me a donkey Lord!

I've got a situation that came up today that has the potential for some serious change in my life.  Whether it is good or bad remains to be seen but to be quite honest, I'm worried to death about it.  That reminded me of a story I heard on K-Love the other day. 

A woman takes her kids to the movies but the theater is empty.  After a few minutes one of the workers tells her that there is a problem with the projector and the movie should start in 10 minutes.  The woman's two kids are pretty pumped up about the movie but they wait patiently.  After about 20 minutes the worker comes back and tells them they can't get the projector fixed so they are sending them to a different theater to see the same movie.  With this news, the youngest of the boys pitches an outrageous fit.  He begins to scream and cry and tells his mom "NO" he wants to see the movie where he is because that is where the movie is supposed to be.  He then asks why she brought him here just so they can't see the movie.  She tries to talk some sense into him but he won't hear of it.  She then drags the boy, kicking and screaming to the other theater to see the same movie.  When they get there, the movie screen was bigger, the seating was more comfortable, and when the young boy gathered himself he saw that they were actually in a better place.  Once the movie started, the mother asked him if he felt silly about the way he acted.  He just said no and then he said he wouldn't have acted that way if she would have just told him it was going to be better.

Isn't that the way we are sometimes with God?  Maybe I'm the only one that doesn't like change but I have to admit that, against my better judgement, I sometimes ask God why.  Sometimes God has to shut one door just so we are forced to walk through the door he has opened for us.  I wish I could tell you that I'm super-spiritual and can see with God's eyes 24x7 but the truth is, I generally see with God's eyes only when it is convenient for me. 

In most of my posts, I tend to extend a challenge to the readers but today my challenge is for me as well.  Have faith!  Sometimes we have to have blind faith, not knowing what lies ahead.  God doesn't always send a talking donkey like he did to Balaam.  God was steering Balaam one way, by way of the donkey, but Balaam wanted to go another.  After trying three times, the donkey finally had to talk to Balaam (Numbers 22:21-34). 

Right now, I feel like screaming "SEND ME A DONKEY LORD" but what he really wants me to do is listen to his voice so that I won't need a donkey.  I encourage you today (and me too) to listen to God's voice and have faith that he will guide your steps.  Let's pray that we only go through the doors that he wants us to and that we don't try to open the doors that He has shut.

God loves you and I do too!

1 comment:

  1. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. I love you. KS

    ReplyDelete