Friday, December 23, 2011

Life is NOT a Snapshot

I received a call today from someone with a real and immediate need.  This person had been betrayed and hurt at a level deeper than most of us can comprehend.  I don't want to go into detail but I promise that most people don't know the level and depth of this person's pain.  This person called me and before they could get out the first word, all I heard were tears and sobs.  They started telling me their story and I began to cry with them.  This person is a Christian and couldn't understand how this could happen.  And in the midst of our tears while I was giving them scripture that I hoped would comfort, God reminded me of a line from a Josh Wilson song that says "Life is not a Snapshot".  This song was written out of a hopeless situation where God brought in hope.

God wants you to know that life is not a snapshot.  So often, we experience pain that we can't comprehend and situations that we don't understand and we ask God "why?".  In that moment of hurt, it feels like this situation can never be better than it is now.  You may think "this is what my life will always be like because I can't imagine not hurting".  Like the guy says in the video link above, if we trust God with our eternity why don't we trust Him with our now?

While my friend was crying, I reminded them that God loves a broken and contrite heart and He will be near them (Psalm 34:18, Psalm 51:17) and that Jesus said "...I will be with you always, even to the end of the earth" (Matt 28:20).  I also told them that no matter how dismal this very moment seems, it's only a moment in time and God will provide healing; "Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning" (Psalm 30:5).  Jesus said "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness" (2 Cor 12:9). 

When we got off the phone, my friend was still crying and still hurting.  I couldn't take my friends hurt away just like I can't take your hurt away.  All I can do today is encourage you just like I tried to encourage this person.  Please click the link above and hear and example of how a family put their faith in God even when everyone told them not to.  I believe you will be encouraged just like I was.  Please remember that when you are down, alone, upset, and broken God is always with you and He hears your broken heart crying out to Him if you let it.

God loves you and I do too!  Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment