Monday, December 19, 2011

Layaway heros

I listen to K-love if I'm not listening to my ipod in my truck.  One story that they have been reporting on a lot lately is how there are a lot of people across the country that are secretly paying off people's layaway accounts at places like K-mart and Wal-Mart.  I thank God that there are people that have the means to help people and they are doing it.

I was thinking about what a great thing these people are doing and something hit me.  These people are just obeying God (or simply helping people if they aren't Christians).  God has blessed them financially and they are just doing a good work.  It's sad that we live in a day and time where people helping people has become so news worthy.   Isn't helping others part of "Love thy neighbor as thyself" (Matt 22:39)?    James 2:15-17 asks what good is it for you to pray for someone in need rather than actually doing something for them.  Jesus told the rich young ruler that he needs to sell everything he owns and give it to the poor (Luke 18:22).  God intends for Christians to take care of people.  When we became Christians, we gave God everything which includes our money so it is His to tell us how we should use it.  We gave Him our abilities so they are His to tell us who to help with them.  We gave him our time so it is His to tell us how to spend it.

And then, of course, this got me to thinking about what I do to help people.  Do I do enough with what God has given me to take care of someone simply because it's the right thing to do?  Have I turned a blind eye to someone in need?  How about you?  Are you doing what God wants you to with your money, time, and abilities?

Of course we're not going to discuss what we do here because the bible tells us to not let the left hand know what the right hand is doing (Matt 6:3). 

This is the time of year when most people do the most for those in need and I think that is absolutely great.  I hope we all take part in these charitable events.  I encourage you to look to help those in need all year.  Remember, "faith without works is dead" (James 2:17).

God loves you and I do too!

No comments:

Post a Comment