Thursday, December 1, 2011

Are you brave enough to be accountable?


I was talking to my dad tonight about my blog because he doesn't have a computer. I told him the main reason I do it is for personal accountability.  I know that if I keep posting I must hold myself to a high standard (which is the smallest reason to hold myself to a higher standard).  It really got me to thinking about how important it is to be strong enough to be able to admit our faults to a friend.   Much to your surprise, your accountability partner probably should not be your spouse.  The things that you need to be held accountable for may come across as hurtful to your spouse even though sin hasn't yet been produced.  The bible says to confess our faults one to another (James 5:16). The purpose for this isn't for punishment, it's so we can be accountable.  


Accountability helps keep temptation from growing into sin (James 1:14,15).  Are you strong enough to admit your temptations to another?  It's hard, I know, but the bible gives us specific instructions for a reason.  Proverbs says "as iron sharpens iron, one man (woman) sharpens another (Prov 27:17).  Being able to be open with a fellow Christian is important, in my opinion, to spiritual growth.  We forget about the spiritual side of our faith and focus more on our deeds (John 4:24, James 2:14-26) but to get closer to our God, our Creator, we must have spiritual growth.


I challenge you this week to ask someone to be an your accountability partner and volunteer to be theirs.  Being an accountability partner means listening without judging....good luck!


God loves you and I do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment