Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Where are you God?

In several of my past posts I've talked about spiritual troughs, those are the times in your life that God seems to remove the ability from us to be able to feel Him. Recently, Kim and I had the misfortune of going through a spiritual trough. This was really tough for us. Since we both were going through it, we didn't recognize subtle changes that were taking place until last week we knew something wasn't right. Nothing was wrong, we weren't fighting, but something just wasn't right. When Kim pointed out to me that we weren't the same, I knew immediately what was going on. We talked quite a bit about it and we talked about what to do.

During this time of test you will have one of three reactions; 1) Recognize what's going on and continue to seek God, 2) Run from God because you are upset, or 3) You don't recognize it until damage is done. For Kim and me, I think we recognized what was going on and we began to seek God.

During our talks about this, Kim asked how to get out of the funk that we were in. It really felt like we were going through the valley of dry bones. I told Kim the only thing we could do is to continue seeking after God, read our bibles, and pray. That is what we did. Kim and I have an awesome marriage, I don't know another couple that loves each other like we do. I'm not saying that we're perfect because we aren't, but we sure do love each other. So when we recognized that each of us was in a spiritual trough, we prayed for each other. Because our marriage revolves around God, if we aren't growing closer to Him, it feels like we aren't growing closer to each other. God is so good to us and we give Him the glory for everything. We put our marriage and our kids in His hands and He has always been faithful to us. My hope is that we are as faithful to Him.

If you follow my blog then you know that I love music and God ministers to me through music. I heard a song that is a couple of years old today by Thousand Foot Krutch called "Breathe you in". There is a line in the song that says "Through the highs and lows, there's one truth I know and its you". This one statement is what should carry us through any spiritual trough that we go through. Life is easy during the highs. During the low parts of our life, and there will be low points if you're a Christian, if we just remember that the one truth in life is Christ we will be OK. One truth? He is the one thing that we can always count on. He is the one God that will always be faithful to you.

I encourage you to recognize the low points; whether it is a test from God or whether you have just slipped. Recognize them and fight to get back to feeling God.

I love you and God does too!

5 comments:

  1. Question...you and Kim are so close in your walk with God. Why do these troughs keep coming. It hasn't been long since Kim went through this. Do you think God is testing or do we get caught up so much in our daily lives and routines that we exclude him? Are we walking out of the realm of praise?

    Remember the prayer Kim wrote and use it...God gave it to her for a reason.

    Love you all and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only way to answer this honestly is to say "I don't know" why this happened. Are we walking outside the realm of praise? No.

    Thank you for your comment,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow anonymous..... Too bad you are too cowardly to sign a name. You must live a perfect and blameless life? Are you so new to Christianity that you are too ignorant to realize that every Christian has highs and lows? Are you concluding that once you are saved and have all the answers that life should be perfect without "troughs"? Shame on you for throwing stones....be careful, that is dangerous ground when you start judging others. And yes, you sound very judgemental. John has allowed us to have a peak into his personal life and experiences and I am sure he welcomes discussion....but point blank, you sound like a jerk. Maybe sign your name next time, don't be a coward or don't bother leaving comments. Maybe it would be good to be able to look at your perfect way of living so you could help all of us who live in real world! Kristie Dotson, married 21 yrs this June and yes we have had our troughs, but we keep trucking along!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Kristie,

    I did not mean to affend you or anyone else. My name is Konni and I am John's sister. I have been a christian for many years but have struggled, and continue to struggle, in my relationship with Christ. My question to John was not to offend but to try to understand. I don't know many people in my life that display their love and relationship with Christ the way my Brother and Sister-in-Law do and it concerns me that as close as they are in their walk with Christ that God lets this happen or chooses for it to happen...where does that put other that aren't so close. I am not being a coward by not signing my name, it's just that I have not had time to set up an account (much like you came up as anonymous) and didn't think about putting my name. John typically knows when it's me. I did not say "IF"...my question was why does God continue to do this to such GREAT christian people. In the future I will just call him. I thought that if I had this type of question that others that are "new" to Christ or struggle with a relationship with Christ may have the same.

    I would like to caution that if I were "on the outside" that your comment would not be the type of comment that would draw me into wanting a closer relationship with Christ or to continue to read this blog. Please keep in mind that everyone that reads this may not be a christian and we should always be showing our "Godly side" of love and compassion.

    John my sincere appologies to you and Kim if I offended in any way. As I write this I am crying and hoping that I have not embarrassed you and I do hope with all my heart that you did not take my question in the same manner as Kristie. Perhaps one day I can meet her or you can explain to her that I would not have offended her or anyone else in any way. Better yet will you give her my phone number so I can apologize to her myself. I share you blog with as many people as I can and would not put something on here that would be a potential stumbling block.

    Keep praying for me as I do you.

    Your loving sister,
    Konni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Konni,
    Neither Kim nor I were offended by your comment. I had to read it twice because the first time I did read a nonexistent "if". I think Kristie did too and we appreciate her passionate defense. I'm sure sure after reading your second comment she will understand where you were coming from.

    Your second comment was straight from the heart of Christ. I wish that I had such humility and love. You make me proud to be your brother.

    ReplyDelete