Friday, February 10, 2012

Kicked out, Part II

As if getting kicked out of a HS Gym on Tuesday night wasn't bad enough, the TSSAA decided that "the fan must be disciplined". So the Loudon County director of schools, in his infinite wisdom decided that I should be suspended for a game. Nevermind the fact that I had already been ejected and apparently an additional warning wouldn't have been good enough so now I must miss one of Kassidi's games. As you can imagine, I wasn't happy.

I have NEVER had the victim mentality but in the past few weeks, it seems that I was getting pushed around by people that are in authority. I have had to just "roll-over" in order to keep from rocking the boat. I guess I have had enough of this so I really felt the need to defend myself, to appeal this decision. The only phone number that I had access to was the Athletic Director at my daughter's school so I called her. Now any of you that know me know that I don't mix words, I don't beat around the bush, and I am terribly blunt. Add these combinations to someone who feels like they have been wronged and you have a volitile situation.

The conversation was direct from the outset so because of this I put the AD on the defensive so she wasn't about to admit any wrong doing and I wasn't either. Long story short, I really handled the AD poorly and unfairly. Although I was never abusive or unprofessional, I came across as very offensive to the AD because of my tone and direct approach. She was offended, I was offended, and there was no resolution so when we got off the phone, neither of us felt good about it. She went to the game and told my wife how upset she was and I stayed home and fumed over the situation.

During all of this, I would occasionally question myself as to whether I was doing the right thing or not and I never could resolve to the fact that I was, especially after the confrontation with the AD. Nevertheless, I fumed and plotted anyway. By the time I went to bed last night, I was formulating a plan to "get them back" for what they did to me. What I didn't realize was that I was giving Satan a stronghold to try to hold me back with.

My attitude was so bad this morning that I completely missed my quiet time with God and I was still thinking about what I was going to do next. At that moment, I realized how displeasing to God I had been and was being. You see, to seek revenge or even to just argue my case to the point of offending someone was caused by pride. Something had been done to "me" and "I" had to do something about it. I looked at myself in the mirror and just said "nahhh, I'm not going to be like this". Within a minute, I felt the self-inflicted burden lift off my shoulders. I knew what I had to do next, I had to apologize the AD. I called her on her cell phone and left an apology on her VM but asked that she call me back so I could apologize directly. She called me and I apologized. I know that the hurt I had inflicted on her was deeper than I knew by her reaction to me but I think, I hope, that she accepted my apology.

I should have done this last night because the bible says to not let the sun go down on your wrath (Eph 4:26) but taking care of it first thing this morning was definitely better than letting it fester. Whats done is done and I'm not going to chase this any more.

I use my blog as an encouragement to others and today, you see how NOT to live your life. Don't be consumed by anger when you are offended. Don't take your frustrations out on anyone. Don't let the sun go down on your wrath. And I guess most of all, don't get kicked out of a basketball game.

God loves you and I do too!

PS--a special thanks goes to the love of my life Kim Knight. That woman supported me even when she thought I was wrong, without challenging me. She took some of my frustration with patience, love, and kindness without getting frustrated with me and without judging me. Kim is the best wife in the world and I this is just another reason why I love her so much.

4 comments:

  1. We are all human man....Us Dad's have the same Mama Bear instinct that Moms do, we just don't like to admit it. I wasn't at game but chances are after our Coach got thrown out, the refs were beating their chest and couldn't wait to toss the next. As long as a fan isn't threatening or hostile they should get some thicker skin. By the way, Shooter from Hoosiers was my favorite character. Take him out, and that movie is pretty uneventful. God bless Greenback and hopefully everyone will stop taking everything so seriously. P.S. We love watching your daughter play. L.P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks L.P. I think we could all use thicker skin sometimes. I usually have really thick skin but when someone finds a thin spot, the old man tries his best to come out. Thank God for His grace and forgiveness and that His mercy endures forever.

      Delete
    2. John, you have true gift of being able to explain things we go through/deal with each and everyday and reminding us of what GOD would want us to do. You have encouraged me to think more of the things I do each and everyday and if I am doing them the way GOD would want. I look forward to your blogs. Again you have a true gift from GOD....AND a wife and daughters that are gifts from GOD. Kimbo has always been like family to us and happy it includes you and the girls. On a lighter note, I wish you could have seen dad when Kim and I played...they probably should have buil a chapel in the gym for dad to go to and ask GOD for forgiveness in between each Quarter!! Love you guys! Trina Mccollum

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much for the kind words Trina. This is very encouraging to hear. Kim told me to tell you that she loves you.

      Delete